The Mercedes-Benz W 113 roadster or Pagoda as it is affectionately known as, first appeared at the 1963 Geneva Motor Show, and was produced from 1963 through 1971. It replaced…
The Mercedes-Benz W 113 roadster or Pagoda as it is affectionately known as, first appeared at the 1963 Geneva Motor Show, and was produced from 1963 through 1971. It replaced both the legendary 300 SL and the 190 SL. The lead designers Paul Bracq and Béla Barényi, created its patented, slightly concave hardtop, which inspired the “Pagoda” nickname.
All models were equipped with an inline-six cylinder engine with multi-port fuel injection. The hood, trunk lid, door skins and tonneau cover were made of aluminum to reduce weight. The comparatively short and wide chassis, combined with an excellent suspension, powerful brakes and radial tires gave the Pagoda superb handling for its time. The styling of the front, with its characteristic upright Bosch “fishbowl” headlights and simple chrome grille, dominated by the large three-pointed star in the nose panel, paid homage to the 300 SL roadster.
Offered here this 1969 280 SL has spent most of its life in the warm Palm Springs sun where it received an extensive restoration before coming north to Canada in 2012. Purchased by Coachwerks Restoration in late 2018, the vehicle once more received an extensive overhaul to bring it up to collector grade standards both cosmetically and mechanically. Leaving nearly no bolt unturned and little if any surfaces untouched the restoration team took this wonderful pagoda and turned it into an absolutely spectacular 280 SL. Stunningly finished in it’s original colour of DB 568 Signal Red over Black MB Tex this incredible automobile wants for nothing other than the open road.
Call us direct at 250-727-1213 for more info